The Love-Hate Relationship
We find the Death Knight that EVERYONE wants their daughter to marry glancing over some important papers…
Yes, I am talking about the Patch 3.2.2 patch notes here, sure I am a bit late, but I figured I may as well share my (belated) thoughts before this bad-boy airs. There are some sweet buffs to classes, but there are also some horrible nerfs which will make the Death Knight Tank in me laugh and cry.
Mostly laugh, a good Death Knight does not cry, at least when it can be avoided.
- Onyxia has been scaled to offer new challenges to level 80 players and is now available for testing in 10- and 25-player modes.
- Adjusted for modern raiding, but with the fundamental experience of fighting the Brood Mother still in effect, including the horrors of her Deep Breaths!
- Onyxia will now drop level 80 item versions of some classic loot items from the level 60 encounter.
- Brood of Onyxia, a very rare 310%-speed mount modeled after Onyxia herself will be available for the luckiest of challengers.
- Now THIS is good, that damned Priest can relive those “glory days” that he claims he had, and I get a chance to kill a dragon that is not blue. So, I get to tell him that he did not do Onyxia in Vanilla WoW and I kill stuff, this is like a Death Knight Christmas!
- Gnaw: This death knight ghoul ability now has a 1-minute cool down.
- Great, so I get a walking Hammer of Justice in PvP? Can I get a bubble for it too? What do you think, Munchy?
“…Munchy …doesn’t like …Alliance Flesh …That Much …Anyways”
Why did I have to get the Vegetarian one?
- Heart Strike: Secondary targets of Heart Strike now take half as much damage.
- Subversion: Now also increases the critical strike chance of Scourge Strike by 3/6/9%.
- Vampiric Blood: Cool Down reduced to 1 minute and duration reduced to 10 seconds.
- How does it taste Blood, does it taste like nerf? Although the reduced C/D may be pretty helpful for Tanks, being able to use the best (in my opinion) talent-specific Cool Down for Death Knights 2x more is not a bad deal. It was sort of excess for 20 seconds anyways, 10 should be just fine.
- Threat of Thassarian now also causes Rune Strike to use both weapons when dual-wielding.
- Unbreakable Armor: Cool Down reduced to 1 minute and changed back to granting 25% additional armor while active instead of flat damage reduction based on armor. The amount of strength granted has been reduced to 10%.
- The UA nerf sucks, but I will live, besides I take 3% less damage anyways! But the Threat of Thassarian buff, holy hell that is going to be amazing. Rune Strike generates a great amount of threat for DW/2H, but now it is going to be ridiculous for DWers!
- Bone Shield: This ability now has 3 charges instead of 4. Cool Down reduced to 1 minute.
- Dirge: This talent no longer grants additional runic power from using Obliterate.
- Like the rest of the Cool Downs, BS gets its original Cool Down time, but a little less “oomph” as the damage reduction goes. It is not devastating really, you can use it 2x more for just 2 less charges of 20% damage reduction each? You’ll live, but as for the less runic power, that could be a little bit of an ouch for the Obliterate Unholy users out there for sure.
Overall what should we Death Knights be expecting? It really is like our normal patches, we get buffed a tiny bit here, but we get nerfed a little over there. Although the nerfs this time do not completely suck, there are a few noticeable ones. One thing that I am wondering about is, why is Blizzard changes our Cool Downs from 2 minutes back to the original 1 minute. Very odd, but at least we do not have to be afraid about not having our Cool Downs for later in a boss fight, considering we could use them anywhere from 3-7 times depending on the fight.
Congratulations Blizzard, you get the Elnoriah Stamp of Approval, now please release this patch A.S.A.P!